We pride ourselves on being a modern software development shop. Our managers all come from software engineering backgrounds and have a natural inclination to leverage novel technologies and processes that can help our business succeed. Some highlights of what we offer:
• We believe in team autonomy. Our roughly eight person teams strive to own their work from development to release and everything in-between. This includes DevOps considerations, ensuring quality through tools such as testing automation, optimizing for speed and reliability, etc.
• We believe in investing in and pursuing excellence. We set fixed amounts of time for addressing technical debt, advancing architecture, and providing teams the bandwidth to experiment and iterate.
• Work-life balance is a priority. We work on flexible schedules. Many of our team members work from home one or two days a week, some arrive at 7:00am, others arrive at 9:30. 40 hour work weeks are the norm.
• We believe in career investments. Employees are encouraged to spend time learning new skills of their choosing during work hours. Each of our employees has access to their own PluralSight account.
• We view the diversity on our teams as a key strength.
• We practice Agile principles. We run two week sprints, have embedded product ownership on the teams, use Kanban / Scrum, etc. We don’t prescribe methodologies, however, believing that each team should choose a process that they believe best fits them.
• We’re in the cloud. We have major applications in Microsoft’s Azure platform, have MSDN licenses, and each have a generous monthly allowance that can be used to experiment with the platform.
• We take hardware seriously. We each have a powerhouse laptop and three monitors at our workstations.
• We use a domain-based approach. Our teams each own specific pieces of the application and are entrusted to become the experts and innovators in those areas.
• We have a casual dress code.
• Each team generally has its own team room.
• We strive to create an engaging workplace. There are often board games at lunch, video game tournaments, and mixers held in the office.
We’re looking a Senior Software Engineer. Generally, this role is expected to be able to effectively collaborate with product / project stakeholders, team members, and other teams to develop and deliver new features for our applications. Effective communications are a key, particularly when it comes to forming questions around how a feature is supposed to work and communicating back the pros and cons of various solutions.
Our senior engineers are drivers; they help us move our teams and projects forward. They are passionate about optimizing our codebase and processes for performance, sustainability, quality, etc. They bake non-functional considerations into their work and avoid shortcuts. They’re role models on the team and help steer our technical roadmaps. They work collaboratively in our teams, consider others’ opinions, mentor colleagues, and share their expertise.
Some additional key qualities of this role:
• (Mandatory): At least five years of experience developing software, with an established track record of having lead development efforts.
• (Mandatory): Solid experience with OOP and approaches to software design
• (Mandatory) Experience with ASP.NET, Express, or other web application frameworks
• (Mandatory) Experience with SQL Server, MySQL, Redis, MongoDB, or other database technologies
• Experience with DevOps activities such as CI / CD pipeline development and maintenance, release ownership, production troubleshooting, etc
• Experience participating in technical approach reviews
• Experience conducting code reviews
• Experience with automated testing. Specific technologies aren’t necessarily important, but buy-in to the general concept is.
• Familiarity with cloud development and architecture
• Familiarity with Agile methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban
• Familiar with API design, service-oriented architecture (SOA) and messaging patterns
We are a group of passionate Software Engineers that have built the award-winning “Bright Choices” web portal in addition to other customer-facing products for a global audience. We have a focus on continuous improvement that extends to both the software we write and the culture we promote. We build a platform to provide the best possible support to our customers shopping for benefits, where our carrier partners can be confident their products are represented accurately and unbiased.
We believe in a collaborative work environment and a culture that thrives on learning new things. We enjoy the benefits of being a big company while striving to maintain a smaller-business culture. Here are a few of our favorite perks:
• Casual dress code
• Flexible work schedule
• Company provided coffee, tea, and subsidized on-site marketplace
• Team-centric rooms that maximize team collaboration while minimizing cross-team distractions
• Competitive compensation and benefit package