Senior Catastrophe Risk Analyst – EMEA W/S
January 27, 2020
The position is to join the EMEA West-South (UK, Ireland, France, Belgium Luxembourg, Iberia, Italy, Middle East and Africa) team to become part of the core renewal modelling, year-round client engagement on topics such as model interpretation, portfolio management and non-modelled risk assessment. The role offers a unique opportunity to lead the modelling of a Business Unit in a Global account with oversight across international teams. Furthermore, the individual will assist in our Catastrophe Analytics services, supporting model research and development, as well as promoting these services to our clients.
Your Catastrophe analytics background would ideally be at an Underwriting Syndicate, Broking or Model Development Company and you will be able to demonstrate an in-depth understanding of catastrophe modelling and how this relates to business decisions. In addition, you should have sound presentation skills including the ability to effectively communicate technical detail to clients who do not necessarily have the same level of technical knowledge of the subject. You must also possess excellent teamwork skills and be able to co-ordinate projects.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual, with a proven track record in the insurance market and proven experience in catastrophe risk analysis.
- Coordination across different, international teams
- Operation of catastrophe modelling software (RMS and AIR)
- Oversight and knowledge of data auditing & cleaning
- Report preparation and presentation
- Understanding of financial modelling software
- Interpretation and review of model outputs
- Synthesis, presentation and explanation of catastrophe model results to clients
- Developing innovative analytics solutions and service offering to quantify catastrophe risk and support business requirements
What the team can offer you:
- Extraordinary team spirit and a pleasant environment
- Opportunity to broaden perspective across different disciplines including engaging with scientists, brokers and actuaries
- Career progression opportunities
- Participate in subject specific working groups with colleagues from international offices
- Dynamic team with excellent knowledge sharing and development opportunities
Degree in numerate or hazard related subject, ideally Applied Maths, Statistics or Engineering, Computer Science or relevant scientific subject such as Physics, Seismology, Atmospheric Science, Geo-Sciences.
Track record in London/global insurance markets
Excellent working knowledge of at least one vendor model (i.e. RMS, AIR, EQE)
Strong problem-solving skills and keen attention to detail
Excellent IT skills, ideally with computer programming skills (e.g. VBA, R, python)
Knowledgeable about reinsurance
Demonstrated working knowledge of SQL
Knowledge of probability theory advantageous
Comfortable dealing with brokers and underwriters
Excellent communication skills
Ability to work under pressure and demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritise project work
Ability to process and understand data quickly and creatively
Proven ability to integrate into a time critical business environment and meet challenging timelines
The ability to work in a team and autonomously and highly motivated to learn and grow within a global market leader.
Willis Towers Watson is an equal opportunity employer